Sales and Operations Planning: “A Holistic Approach”
APICS Greater Detroit supply chain professionals got together this month for an interactive discussion with Global Supply Chain Management Executive, Richard Ulrey Jr., CPA, MBA, PhD. He had the following statement to share about our group.
“The APICS Greater Detroit Chapter is an impressive group of supply chain professionals. I enjoyed discussing sales and operations planning with them. Building cross functional teams is a critical component for successful digital transformation projects.” Richard Ulrey, CPA, MBA, PhD
Richard shared expert advice on how a successful Sales & Operations Planning process integrates marketing, operational and distribution planning to create over-arching strategic plans for business.
Below we’ve highlighted a few of the insights Richard shared with the group:
- In the case of business organizations, holistic thinking takes into account its purpose, values, function in its environment, process, and structure.
- It is the basis for the development of the business design construct, systems thinking, and strategy formation.
- Key tactics and benefits of a holistic approach include:
- Sharing experiences across operations, sales, marketing and purchasing help to build common ground.
- Provide historical information about industrial revolution and share a common vision to successfully navigate the current era of digital transformation and protect against digital disruption.
- Assess your current state across people, processes, and technology to gain an understanding of the real challenges.
- Share industry-specific trends to provide a consistent context.
- Leverage an educational foundation such as APICS certifications to provide everyone with the same framework.
- Use the Supply Chain Operations Reference Model to provide the same scope.
- Overall develop a cross-functional approach that brings S&OP together and celebrate successes!
Looking for more information on how to improve your Sales & Operations Planning strategy, Richard can be contacted at email@example.com.
APICS Greater Detroit is the premier professional association for supply chain management, helping over 150 Detroit area companies represented by our members, with educational and networking opportunities.
We are offering CPIM I and CSCP instructor-led classes starting in just a couple weeks! PLUS we are offering an additional $200 off for members who register for CPIM I or CSCP by April 19th!
Click the links below to reserve your seat!
- CPIM I (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) – The perfect introductory course for production and inventory management personnel and CPIM candidates. This is the recommended first course in the APICS CPIM program.
- CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional): The CSCP designation is the most sought-after certification by supply chain professionals around the globe seeking to achieve mastery and recognition in their field.