How BASF Applied APICS Body of Knowledge for Winning Results
Are you looking for ways to reduce your costs for labor, internal logistics or order fulfillment cycle times? Do you need to increase your return on supply chain fix assets?
The APICS body of knowledge, developed by supply chain experts, has been repeatedly proven to help companies reduce costs and increase return on investments. APICS Greater Detroit brings this valuable resource to you locally through educational and networking opportunities.
Per the Association for Supply Chain Management (ASCM) case study, BASF, a global chemical company with more than 112,000 employees serving customers and partners in nearly every
country in the world, applied APICS tools and teaching to deliver the following RESULTS:
- Cost savings of approximately $60 million annually in internal logistics services
- Order fulfillment cycle time reduced by 25 percent; cost of goods sold reduced by 12 percent
- Delivery accuracy increased 25 percent
- Direct labor costs decreased 79 percent over 12 months
- Return on supply chain fixed assets increased 62 percent over one year
Per Alan Milliken, CFPIM, CSCP, global APICS coordinator for the BASF Group, “APICS is the foundation of the overall supply chain learning solutions program. We used APICS education to prepare BASF employees worldwide who work in supply chain management in order to
ensure that best practices are implemented throughout the organization, to share knowledge, and to create a sustainable competitive advantage.”
In 2011, BASF invested substantially in APICS education: specifically, about 100 in-house APICS classes with 1,500 students participating who represent 25 countries. They also sponsor APICS memberships, seminars, certification review classes, chapter meetings, and exams. More than 400 BASF employees from all supply chain-related functions have participated in the Basics of Supply Chain Management course since the global program began.
“The principles, tools, and techniques are recognized best practices, and the course ensures a common understanding of terminology and basic processes,” Milliken says. “But knowledge and understanding in your assigned area are not enough; APICS education helps people prepare to consider the bigger picture and collaborate with other functions to achieve the best overall results.”
Mark Gough, CPIM CSCP, Demand Planner at BASF in Wyandotte, MI, shares below how his APICS certifications have helped him in his career,
“My APICS certifications have given me a strong strategic base of knowledge to help me solve daily process challenges at BASF quickly and efficiently. I can also coach others on how to solve problems using the APICS body of knowledge.”
More information on how BASF leveraged the APICS Body of Knowledge to improve their business results can be found in the ASCM Case Study.
Your local APICS Greater Detroit chapter is excited to announce instructor-led local certification classes starting in September 2019! All classes are taught by local Supply Chain experts and experienced professionals to help you improve your supply chain efforts and advance your career.
At APICS Greater Detroit we offer many programs to help you deepen supply chain management knowledge within your existing team. This fall we are excited to offer the following globally recognized certifications with new virtual options and savings of 20% off historical prices!
- CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) – The perfect certification for production and inventory management personnel. CPIM provides you with the ability to understand and evaluate production and inventory activities within a company’s global operations.
- CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) – The CSCP designation is the most sought-after certification by supply chain professionals around the globe seeking to achieve mastery and recognition in their field.
- CLTD (Certified Logistics, Transportation and Distribution) – The CLTD program helps you demonstrate in-depth knowledge of a broad range of supply chain logistics topics to set you apart from your peers. Elevate awareness, professionalism, and knowledge/skills of Logistics, Transportation & Distribution practitioners.
- Customized Corporate Classes – We can create a proposal for your training, professional development, and educational objectives. Local organizations have found benefits training functional business employees within Supply Chain Management / Logistics / Operations, Sales and Marketing, Manufacturing, IT, Finance, and HR on Supply Chain processes and concepts.
APICS Greater Detroit chapter members receive discounts on all certification classes – click here to join today. We look forward to helping your company deepen operational knowledge and improve results in 2019!